Impress your guests with these starters using Athens® or Apollo fillo dough.
HERBED CHEVRE IN PHYLLO
1 11-ounce log fresh Chévre (goat) cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
10 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9" x 14"), thawed
3 tablespoon butter, melted
2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
Prepare fillo roll according to directions for Strudels and Rolls for one large log, rolling lengthwise. Sprinkle breadcrumbs between the layers of fillo. Score into 1/2" slices. Brush outside with butter and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let sit 15 minutes before slicing.
Serve warm, 2 slices per portion, with tossed lettuce greens.
Yield: 1 large log
|GENERAL FILLO DOUGH HANDLING DIRECTIONS|
1. Allow fillo dough to thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
2. Carefully unroll fillo sheets onto a smooth, dry surface.
3. Cover fillo completely with plastic wrap, then a damp towel.
4. Keep fillo covered until needed. Do not leave uncovered for more than one minute to avoid drying out.
5. Microwave butter until melted. This will give you a lighter and flakier pastry.
6. Brush each layer of fillo with melted butter, margarine or oil.
7. To prevent edges from cracking, brush edges first and then work into center.
8. Be sure to brush the last layer of fillo with melted butter.
9. Fillings should be chilled and not excessively moist.
10. Fillo may be rolled and refrozen to store when not in use.
©2011 Athens Foods, Inc. All rights reserved.