HOW TO MAKE FILLO POUCHES
1. Follow general directions below for handling Athens and Apollo fillo dough.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons butter. Layer 4 fillo sheets, brushing each with melted
3. General guide (see steps 3A and 3B):
A. 2 " squares will produce 15 pouches: Place 1
teaspoons of filling onto center of square.
B. 3" squares will produce 12 pouches: Use 2 teaspoons
C. 4" squares will produce 6 pouches: Use 3 teaspoons
D. 5" squares will produce 2 pouches: Use 4 teaspoons
E. 6" squares will produce 2 pouches: Use 5 teaspoons
4. Brush fillo from edge of filling to each point of square lightly with water.
5. Gather points of square and pinch together just above filling. (see step 5)
6. Brush small pouch with butter. Place at least 1" apart on ungreased cookie
sheet or baking pan and bake in preheated 350ºF oven for about 12 to 15 minutes
or until golden brown. Bake large pouches for 25 to 30 minutes.
1. If you put too much filling into square, it will be very difficult to
enclose it with fillo.
2. Freeze filled fillo for 10 minutes before baking to set the shape of pouch.
3. To make a fillo purse, cut circles instead of squares, gather way to top,
spread top edge and tie with blanched scallion strips or other edible purse
string. (see purse diagram)
Back to Shapes and Uses