A filling of fresh spinach, chicken and feta finds a home in flaky phyllo in this sensational strudel.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 4 cups fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 2 cups (about 1 pound) cooked chicken, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup feta (or goat) cheese, crumbled
- 10 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″x14″), thawed
- Cooking spray (butter-flavored spray, optional)
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat. Add onions and scallions and cook for 2 minutes, or until tender. Add the spinach and cook, stirring constantly, until wilted, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Place the mixture in a colander and drain well. Let mixture cool to room temperature.
In a large bowl, mix the greens, chicken, parsley and salt and pepper. Mix well. In a small bowl, lightly beat egg and egg white. Add the beaten eggs and feta cheese to chicken mixture, stirring to combine.
Cover work surface with waxed paper. Layer 10 phyllo sheets on the wax paper, lightly coating each with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon breadcrumbs over each sheet as you layer them. Spread filling down the length of the top phyllo sheet, leaving a 2” border.
Roll up the phyllo from the long edge. Do not roll tightly, or strudel may split. Tuck or fold the edges at the ends.
Place strudel seam-down on ungreased baking sheet and brush with butter-oil mixture. Score top into 6 equal sections. Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.