Courtesy of Eric D. Aber, Chef/Owner Home Grown CafÃ©, Newark, DE
- 64 ounces (liquid measure) Yukon gold potatoes, cooked, crushed,†room temp.
- 10 ounces yellow sweet onion, small dice
- 16 ounces frozen peas
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 ounces yellow curry powder
- .25 ounces salt
- 30 sheets Athens Phyllo Dough (14″x18″)
- 4 ounces butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
Boil the potatoes in salted water until cooked through then gently break up into medium sized chunks with a fork or potato masher. Be careful not to create smooth puree or fully mashed potato as it will result in an inferior filling. Sautee the onions and peas in the butter until just softened, add 1 ounce of the curry powder and remove from heat. Mix in the crushed potatoes and salt.
Layer 5 phyllo sheets, brushing each with clarified butter. Cut layered phyllo into 8 rectangles approximately 4.5”x 7”. Place 1¾ ounces of the curried potato mixture at lower left corner of the rectangle and roll diagonally into sushi style hand roll cones. Seal with a little beaten egg. Repeat process 5 times to make 48 rolls.
Place rolls seam side down on baking sheet and freeze for later use or bake until phyllo is brown 15-20 minutes at 350°F.
- These baked samosas are much lighter and contain less fat than traditional fried Samosas.
- Serve 2 phyllo samosas with a 4-ounce fillet of salmon and 8 ounces of basmati rice. Garnish with fresh cilantro and lemon.
- Athens Ready-To-Go Phyllo Dough can be substituted for the 14×18 Phyllo dough.