To use a full case:
Remove case from freezer and place in cooler overnight. Ready-To-Go Phyllo Dough has a shelf life of 30 days in the cooler. Remove case from cooler and bring to room temperature for approximately 2 hours for best results or remove case from freezer and place on counter at room temperature overnight. To hasten thawing and tempering, remove bag of phyllo from the case, but do not remove phyllo from the bag until ready to use
To use a few sets:
Thaw as above and store case in cooler up to 30 days. If only using a few Ready-To-Go Phyllo Dough sets, carefully remove from bag. Cover sets completely with plastic wrap and bring to room temperature. Reseal bag and return unused phyllo to cooler for up to 30 days.
Before using, phyllo must be completely thawed and at room temperature. Keep phyllo covered in plastic bag or wrap before use to prevent drying. There is no need to brush additional butter or oil on the phyllo to prepare your favorite recipe. However, you may want to brush the outside of unbaked product with butter or oil to seal the edge and enhance crispness and browning. For additional shine and a richer color, brush top of product with egg wash before baking. For sweets, an additional sprinkling of turbinado sugar crystals gives added sparkle.
How many sets are in a box?
– Approximately 17 sets (1 set = 5 sheets) / in a 5 lb. box
– Approximately 50 sets (1 set = 5 sheets) / in a 15 lb. box
What is the shelf life?
– Refrigerated – 1 month
– Frozen – 12 months
HANDLING AND GENERAL USE:
– Allow kataifi to thaw unopened in refrigerator overnight.
– Remove kataifi from bag.
– Cover kataifi completely with plastic wrap, then a damp towel.
– Remove a handful of shredded dough and loosen by gently pulling strands with both hands working in opposite directions.
– Mist kataifi with water if it gets too dry.
– Lay kataifi on ungreased pan and spread with fingertips.
– Fill and wrap with favorite flavors/fillings. Replace unused kataifi in plastic bag, seal tightly and refreeze up to 2 months.
– Never wait for your phyllo to defrost again! Store unopened Athens® Phyllo Dough in the refrigerator instead of the freezer for up to 4 weeks thus it can be on hand and ready to use whenever needed.
– Wrap any leftover phyllo tightly with plastic wrap and keep in a cooler for up to 1 week.
– For longer storage, refreeze phyllo. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then with foil and store in freezer up to 2 months.
– Remove number of packages needed from case and place in cooler overnight. Unopened phyllo has a shelf life of 30 days in cooler. Remove from cooler and place packages at room temperature for approximately 3 hours.
– For best results, phyllo must be completely thawed and at room temperature.
– Allow phyllo to thaw in box at room temperature at least 3 hours.
– Do not open until all other ingredients are assembled and you are ready to work.
– Carefully unroll phyllo sheets on a smooth, dry surface.
– Remove any phyllo you don’t need for your recipe, reroll, wrap in plastic and return to cooler up to 1 week.
– Immediately cover phyllo with plastic wrap, then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out.
– Uncover to remove phyllo sheets as needed, then promptly cover the remainder.
– Brush each layer of phyllo with melted butter, oil or spray with a thin coating of cooking spray.
– To prevent edges from cracking, lightly brush edges first and then work into center.
– Be sure to brush the last layer of phyllo with melted butter.
– Fillings should not be excessively wet.
– Brush the seal before baking.
– Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet.
– Use a soft bristle brush (for fewer tears) to spread oil or butter over phyllo.
– Be organized and work quickly.
– Phyllo is more forgiving than you think. If it tears, simply patch it back together and layer with another sheet.