– Never wait for your phyllo to defrost again! Store unopened Athens® Phyllo Dough in the refrigerator instead of the freezer for up to 4 weeks thus it can be on hand and ready to use whenever needed.
– Wrap any leftover phyllo tightly with plastic wrap and keep in a cooler for up to 1 week.
– For longer storage, refreeze phyllo. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then with foil and store in freezer up to 2 months.
– Remove number of packages needed from case and place in cooler overnight. Unopened phyllo has a shelf life of 30 days in cooler. Remove from cooler and place packages at room temperature for approximately 3 hours.
– For best results, phyllo must be completely thawed and at room temperature.
– Allow phyllo to thaw in box at room temperature at least 3 hours.
– Do not open until all other ingredients are assembled and you are ready to work.
– Carefully unroll phyllo sheets on a smooth, dry surface.
– Remove any phyllo you don’t need for your recipe, reroll, wrap in plastic and return to cooler up to 1 week.
– Immediately cover phyllo with plastic wrap, then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out.
– Uncover to remove phyllo sheets as needed, then promptly cover the remainder.
– Brush each layer of phyllo with melted butter, oil or spray with a thin coating of cooking spray.
– To prevent edges from cracking, lightly brush edges first and then work into center.
– Be sure to brush the last layer of phyllo with melted butter.
– Fillings should not be excessively wet.
– Brush the seal before baking.
– Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet.
– Use a soft bristle brush (for fewer tears) to spread oil or butter over phyllo.
– Be organized and work quickly.
– Phyllo is more forgiving than you think. If it tears, simply patch it back together and layer with another sheet.
HANDLING AND GENERAL USE:
– Allow kataifi to thaw unopened in refrigerator overnight.
– Remove kataifi from bag.
– Cover kataifi completely with plastic wrap, then a damp towel.
– Remove a handful of shredded dough and loosen by gently pulling strands with both hands working in opposite directions.
– Mist kataifi with water if it gets too dry.
– Lay kataifi on ungreased pan and spread with fingertips.
– Fill and wrap with favorite flavors/fillings. Replace unused kataifi in plastic bag, seal tightly and refreeze up to 2 months.