An easy, fast appetizer that packs a flavorful punch. Simply wrap bell pepper and a schmear of hummus in phyllo and grill!
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut into thin strips 4” x ¼”
- 2 large yellow bell peppers, cut into thin strips 4” x ¼”
- 2 large orange bell peppers, cut into thin strips 4” x ¼”
- 18 green onions, halved lengthwise and cut into 4” lengths
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinaigrette dressing
- 9 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9” x 14”), thawed
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup hummus
Thaw one roll of phyllo, following thawing instructions on package.
Combine peppers and green onions in shallow bowl or Ziploc bag. Add vinaigrette dressing and marinate for at least 1 hour. Discard dressing and pat dry.
Unroll and cover phyllo sheets with plastic wrap, then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. Place one sheet of phyllo on work surface with short side near you. Lightly brush with olive oil and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon parmesan. Layer and repeat with 2 more sheets of phyllo dough. Do not oil or sprinkle parmesan on top layer. Cut the dough twice lengthwise resulting in 3 strips each 3” x 14”. Then cut each strip into 4 equal pieces of 3” x 3 ½”.
Gently spread 1 heaping tablespoon of hummus on each rectangle leaving ½” border around the perimeter. Place one piece of each vegetable in a pile at the short end of each rectangle allowing the vegetables to extend out both ends. Roll each and place seam side down on grilling pan or basket. Brush each roll lightly with olive oil. Repeat entire process two more times to make a total of 36 rolls. Reroll unused sheets and follow storing instructions on package.
Place grill pan on grill 2-3 minutes, browning lightly and then turning over to brown other side. Grill times vary with type of grill. These cook very quickly, watch closely to prevent burning.
Serving size: 47g, Amount per serving: Calories 190, Total Fat – 8g, Saturated fat – 5g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol –15mg, Sodium – 75 mg, Total Carbohydrates – 29g Dietary Fiber – 0g, Sugars – 15g, Protein – 3g, Vitamin D – 0%, Calcium – 4%, Iron 0%, Potassium – 0%
- Herbed cheese spread may be substituted for hummus.
- Stay by the grill as these cook very fast and phyllo will burn quickly