Chopped shiitake mushrooms and a meatloaf mix of ground beef, pork and veal mingle in flaky Phyllo rolls in these awesome appetizers.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef, pork and veal meatloaf mix (or ground sirloin)
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 20 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed
In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add ground meat and cook until browned, stirring to crumble, about 8 – 10 minutes. Remove from skillet and drain in a colander. Let cool. In the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add onion and mushrooms and cook until tender and the liquid given off from mushrooms has evaporated. Remove from heat and cool.
In a large bowl, combine the ground meat, mushroom mixture, Parmesan cheese, parsley, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter with 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Layer 5 Phyllo sheets, brushing each with the butter–oil mixture. Cut the layered Phyllo widthwise into 4 strips. Place about 2 tablespoons of filling at one end of Phyllo strip, leaving 1″ from end and 1/2″ from each side free of any filling. Fold Phyllo up over the filling to form a roll. Fold side edges in to enclose the sides. Roll up to the end of Phyllo strip. Brush outside of roll with butter-oil mixture. Repeat process 3 more times to make16 rolls.
Bake seam side down, at least 1″ apart, on ungreased cookie sheet or baking pan in preheated 3501/4F oven for 15 – 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.