Courtesy of Eric D. Aber, Chef/Owner, Home Grown CafÃ©, Newark, DE
- 8 oz. red onion, slivered
- 8 oz. red wine vinegar
- 22.5 oz. lamb, cooked, shredded
- 2 oz. olive oil
- 0.5 oz. salt
- 0.25 oz. pepper
- 4 oz. braising juices or stock
- 3 packages (15 count, each) Athens® Phyllo Shells
- 12 oz. tzatziki sauce
Carefully slice the onions as thinly as possible into 1-inch strips. Bring the red wine vinegar to a boil then add the slivered red onions. Let steep at room temperature for at least one hour, then refrigerate.
Crisp the lamb in a little oil, season with salt and pepper and deglaze with a few ounces of the reserved juices (not too much or it may wilt the shells). Fill each phyllo shell with a 1/2-ounce portion of lamb and top with 1/4-ounce tzatziki sauce and a pickled onion sliver.
- Garnish with a small fresh mint leaf. The key here is really getting a nice bit of caramelization on the shredded lamb during the reheating process.
- The reserved liquids could also be reduced and thickened with butter before adding to the shredded lamb.