Bite-size ice cream sundaes are year-round fun in flaky phyllo shell “bowls”. Great tastes come in small packages so think tiny, think delicious!
- 4 packages (15 count, each) Athens® Phyllo Shells
- 1 1/2 quarts ice cream
- Assortment of your favorite ice cream toppings such as:
- Strawberries, 1/4″ – 1/2″ diced
- Pineapples, 1/4″ – 1/2″ diced
- Bananas, 1/4″ – 1/2″ diced
- Cookie crumbs
- Mini chocolate or peanut butter chips
- Reese’s Pieces
- Coconut flakes
- Chocolate or caramel syrup
- Whipped cream or nondairy topping
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place empty shells on a baking sheet and bake for 3-5 minutes. Let cool. Using a mini ice cream scoop or spoon, fill shells with ice cream in advance, returning them to the package trays. Place trays in freezer until ready to serve.
Set up the ice cream sundae bar using small containers such as mini tart pans, mini ramekins, etc. Fill containers with toppings. Place cocktail spoons and forks on the bar for scooping toppings. Bring ice cream-filled shells out only as needed, maintaining a reserve in the freezer to replenish from.
- Place a cake pan of ice near the sundae bar and top it with a metal baking tray. The trays of ice cream-filled shells can be set on top to keep cold before topping.
- Instead of scooping ice cream, a tasty shortcut is to use small ice cream bars such as Dove Minis. While frozen, these can be cut into smaller pieces and placed in phyllo shells.
- For extra pizzazz, dip shells in white or chocolate candy melts and sprinkles in advance, allowing chocolate to harden before filling with ice cream.