This mini tarts recipe is sure to be the star of the dessert table!
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe strawberries, hulled
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 tub (8 ounces) Mascarpone cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 1/2 pound ripe strawberries, sliced small
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 packages (15 count, each) Athens® Mini Phyllo Shells
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, shaved for garnish
- 2 tablespoons espresso beans, crushed for garnish
In a food processor, puree the hulled strawberries with 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1/3 cup sugar and a pinch of salt. Strain the puree through a fine mesh strainer into a small saucepan to remove seeds. Discard seeds and bring the puree to a simmer over medium-high heat, then cook until reduced by half, about 25 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour into a small bowl and cool.
In a mixer, whip the mascarpone, cream cheese and heavy cream to firm peaks. Gently fold in the strawberry puree. Refrigerate until firm, 1-2 hours.
In a medium bowl, toss the strawberry slices with the remaining lemon juice and sugar.
In a double boiler, melt 3 ounces of bittersweet chocolate until smooth. Dip the bottom of each shell into the chocolate. Place the dipped shells on a waxed paper-lined tray. When firm, use a very small pastry brush to lightly coat the inside of the shells with the remaining melted chocolate to create a moisture barrier. Allow to dry.
Drain any juice from strawberry slices. Divide strawberry slices into each of the shells. Pipe or spoon strawberry cream on top of strawberry slices. Garnish with chocolate shavings and crushed espresso beans.
Serving size: 1 shell (18g); Calories: 35; Calories from Fat: 25; Total Fat: 3g; Saturated Fat: 1.5g; Trans Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 5mg; Sodium: 5mg; Dietary Fiber: 0g: Total Carbohydrates: 3g; Sugars: 2g; Protein: 1g
• For added crispness, preheat oven to 350⁰F. Place empty shells on a baking sheet and bake for 3-5 minutes. Cool and fill.
• To save drying time, place chocolate-covered shells in the freezer for 10 minutes.