These festive, delicious bites are filled with rich chocolate, a touch of espresso and a bit of minty freshness.
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 8 ounces 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate, chopped, divided
- 3 1/2 tablespoons peppermint schnapps
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso granules
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 packages (15 count, each) Athens® Phyllo Shells Chocolate Flavor
- 2 ounces white chocolate chips or white candy melts
- 1 medium candy cane, crushed, for garnish
Heat heavy cream in a small saucepan until it just starts to boil. Place semisweet chocolate and 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate in a medium bowl. Slowly pour heavy cream over the chocolate. Using a whisk, combine the chocolate and cream until the chocolate is completely melted. Whisk in peppermint schnapps, espresso, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Set aside to thicken for 1 hour.
Using a small scoop or 2 spoons, form mixture into small truffle balls approximately 1 – 1 ¼” in diameter. Place balls on a parchment lined pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Melt remaining bittersweet chocolate in double boiler or microwave. Melt white chocolate or white candy melts in a separate bowl. Dip truffle balls in melted bittersweet chocolate and place in chocolate phyllo shells. Drizzle white chocolate on top and garnish with crushed candy cane, before white chocolate hardens.
Serving size: 1 shell (23g), Amount per serving: Calories 100, Total Fat – 7, Saturated fat –4g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol – 5 mg, Sodium – 10mg,Total carbohydrate – 10g, Dietary Fiber – 1g Sugars – 3g, Protein – 1g, Vitamin D – 0%, Calcium – 9mg, Iron 10%, Potassium – 12mg
- For a non-alcoholic version, substitute 1 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract for peppermint schnapps
- Can be stored for 1 week at room temperature in an airtight container