Inspired by the French classic, this dessert puts banana slices, kiwi slices and a delectable passion fruit pastry cream between flaky Phyllo Napoleon layers.
- 1 cup passion fruit purÈe (or 2/3 cup orange juice concentrate mixed with 1/3 cup water)
- 2 eggs
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 cubes
- 18 sheets Athens Phyllo Dough (9 x 14 ), thawed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 kiwis, peeled and sliced 1/4 rounds
- 2 bananas, sliced 1/4 on diagonal
- Powdered sugar to dust
- Raspberries and mint leaves for garnish
In top of double boiler, over hot water, whisk passion fruit puree, eggs, yolks, sugar and orange peel together. Stir mixture until thickened, for about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
Prepare 18 Phyllo Napoleon circles. Layer 6 sheets of Phyllo and stack, buttering each sheet. Using a 4″ round fluted pastry cutter, cut circles from the Phyllo stacks. Place the circles on greased baking sheet and cover with wax paper. Place another baking sheet on top. This will prevent the Phyllo from curling up. Bake in preheated 3501/4F oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Place banana slice on Phyllo round, and pipe passion fruit cream on top using a pastry bag. Top with another Phyllo round and kiwi slices, more passion fruit cream and finally with a third Phyllo round. Dust with powdered sugar. Garnish with mint and berries.