Make it Fabulous with Phyllo Recipe Contest Entry
- 3 Tablespoons†butter
- 2 cups apples, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 smoked pork chop, deboned and diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper†
- 16†sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Sour cream
In a cast iron skillet, melt butter adding apple slices and sugar-cinnamon mixture. Saute for five minutes or until caramelized. Add pork, cheese, salt, pepper and sage. Lower heat and cook for 3 more minutes while stirring.
Layer eight phyllo sheets, brushing each with melted butter and sprinkling breadcrumbs between layers. Repeat layering with 3 more sheets of dough. Place half of the filling at one end of phyllo strip widthwise, leaving 1″ from end and 1″ from each side free of any filling. Fold phyllo over the filling to form a roll. Fold side edges in to enclose the sides. Roll up to the end of phyllo strip. Repeat the process to make a second roll.
Bake seam side down, at least 1″ apart, on an ungreased baking sheet in preheated 3501/4F oven for 25 minutes or until phyllo is golden brown.
To serve cut into slices and serve with sour cream.