Savory, sweet and spicy too! Red lentils and mushrooms make the perfect appetizer or light lunch when topped with mango salsa in a flaky phyllo shell.
- 3 packages (15 count, each) Athens® Phyllo Shells
- 1 mango, ripe, peeled and ¼ – ½” diced
- 1 cup sweet onion, finely diced, divided
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced, divided
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño pepper, minced
- ½ tablespoon habanero pepper, minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- ¾ cup mushrooms, (button or shitake), diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- ¾ cup red lentils, uncooked
- 1 ¾ cups vegetable stock
In a medium bowl, combine mango, ¼ cup onions, 1 ½ tablespoons garlic, jalapeño, habanero, cilantro, lime juice and ½ teaspoon sea salt. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
In a large pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add remaining onions sautéing for 1-2 minutes. Add mushrooms, 1 ½ tablespoons garlic, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Continue to cook over medium heat another 2-3 minutes until fragrant and vegetables are soft. Add lentils, stock and 1 teaspoon sea salt. Cover and simmer over medium low heat for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender. Uncover, stir and cook additional 4-6 minutes until most liquid has evaporated and mixture has slightly thickened.
Spoon lentil mixture into phyllo shells and top with mango salsa. Serve with lentils warm or at room temperature.
Serving size: 1 Shell (33g), Amount per serving: Calories 50, Total Fat – 2.5g, Saturated fat – 0g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol – 0mg, Sodium – 105 mg, Dietary Fiber – 0g, Total Carbohydrate – 6g Sugars – 1g, Protein –1g, Vitamin D – 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 0%, Potassium – 0%
- For added crispness, preheat oven to 350° Place empty shells on a baking sheet and bake for 3-5 minutes. Cool and fill.