Flaky phyllo dough is topped with a special mascarpone dessert spread and garnished with fresh strawberry slices and chopped pistachios. Recipe by Gavin & Karen from Couple in the Kitchen blog.
- 6 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed and cut into 8 sections
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped pistachios
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 12-15 strawberries, sliced
- Additional chopped pistachios, for garnish
Thaw one roll of phyllo dough, following thawing instructions on package.
Start by preheating your oven to 375°F. Unroll and cover phyllo with plastic wrap and then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. Spray two baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Take the one sheet of the sliced phyllo dough and place it on the baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, gently brush the melted butter on one side of the phyllo. Top it with another sheet of sliced phyllo. Repeat this process until the 8 pieces are 6 layers thick. Cook the phyllo crusts for 8-12 minutes, until puffed up and golden brown. Let the phyllo cool while you prepare the mascarpone.
Mix together the mascarpone cheese, chopped pistachios, sugar, salt, vanilla, honey, and the half-and-half. Use a spatula to gently spread the mascarpone mixture on the phyllo dough tart crust. Top the tarts with fresh sliced strawberries and sprinkle them with additional chopped pistachios.