Five types of nuts and layers upon layers of coconut sprinkled phyllo, all ladled with orange infused syrup. And as if that is not incredible enough, we finish it with your favorite everything bagel toppings. A vegan friendly baklava like no other!
- 1 package Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed
- 2 cups vegan cane sugar, divided
- 1 ½ cups water
- 4” x 1 ½” orange peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
- ¾ cup hazelnuts
- ¾ cup almonds
- ¾ cup walnuts
- ¾ cup pecans
- ¾ cup pistachios + additional to grind for topping mixture
- 8 ounces vegan butter, such as Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted, divided
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan pink sea salt
- ½ tablespoon sesame seeds
- ½ tablespoon poppy seeds
- ½ tablespoon flax seed
Thaw phyllo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine water with 1 ½ cups sugar mixing just until sugar dissolves. Add orange peel and lemon juice, bring to a boil and lower heat to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, add orange blossom water and let cool.
Combine hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios and remaining sugar, pulse with a food processor until the consistency of panko crumbs. Divide mixture into four equal portions.
Unroll and cover phyllo with plastic wrap and then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. Trim 1” from length of phyllo stack. Brush a 9” x 13” pan lightly with vegan butter. Lay 2 sheets of phyllo in pan, brush lightly with butter and sprinkle with a little coconut. Layer and repeat until you have a stack of 10 sheets in pan (do not brush top layer with butter or sprinkle coconut). Evenly spread ¼ of nut mixture over phyllo. Layer 5 more sheets of phyllo as above. Top with ¼ nut mixture. Repeat procedure two more times, each with 5 sheets of phyllo and ¼ of nut mixture. Once all of nut mixture has been used, layer remaining phyllo (there will be approximately 15 sheets), two sheets at a time as before. Brush butter on top layer and pour any excess butter evenly on top. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut baklava lengthwise to create 5 columns. Then, cut diagonally across the lines to form diamonds.
In a small bowl combine salt, seeds, 1 ½ tablespoons ground pistachios and 1 ½ tablespoons coconut. Set aside.
Bake 45-50 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven and immediately ladle cooled syrup evenly over hot baklava. Sprinkle with seed mixture. Let sit for at least 8 hours before serving.
Serving size: 1 piece (67g), Amount per serving: Calories 260, Total Fat – 16g, Saturated fat – 8g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol – 0mg, Sodium – 95 mg, Dietary Fiber – 2g, Total Carbohydrate – 27g Sugars – 15g, Protein – 4g, Vitamin D – 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 6%, Potassium – 2%
- For more depth of flavor, toast nuts briefly before grinding.
- Baklava can be stored at room temperature for 1 week or frozen in air tight container for up to 1 month.
- This recipe is designed to be vegan friendly. Those not following a vegan lifestyle may substitute unsalted butter and any granulated sugar.