A plant based twist on a classic Greek favorite. These savory spinach triangles have leeks, green onions, dill and a hint of mint.
- 1 roll Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup raw cashews, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons water reserved from boiled cashews
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 ½ teaspoons sea salt, divided
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup leeks, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup dill, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons mint, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces baby spinach, fresh, rough chopped
Thaw one roll of phyllo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil and add cashews. Simmer for 35 minutes or until cashews have softened. Remove from heat and drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of water.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine boiled cashews, reserved water, lemon juice and 1 ½ teaspoons salt. Pulse until smooth.
In a large sauté pan, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add leeks, green onions, dill, mint, pepper and remaining salt. Cook and stir 3-4 minutes over medium heat or until leeks soften. Add spinach and continue cooking until spinach wilts. Remove from heat, cool slightly and mix in cashew mixture.
Unroll and cover phyllo with plastic wrap and then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. Place one sheet of phyllo on work surface. Lightly brush with olive oil. Layer and repeat with 2 more sheets, but do not brush top layer. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut stack in thirds lengthwise, creating 3 strips each 3” x 14”. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of spinach mixture 2 inches from the end of each strip. Fold phyllo end over filling then fold corner of phyllo diagonally across to opposite edge to form a triangle. Continue to fold triangle onto itself to the end of strip. Place on baking tray and brush lightly with oil. Repeat process with remaining phyllo. Bake in preheated 350ºF oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Serving size: 1 piece (45g), Amount per serving: Calories 100, Total Fat – 5g, Saturated fat – 1g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol – 0mg, Sodium – 340 mg, Dietary Fiber – 1g, Total Carbohydrate – 10g Sugars – 1g, Protein – 3g, Vitamin D – 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 6%, Potassium – 2%
- Spanakopita triangles can be formed and frozen in airtight containers. Bake as instructed without defrosting.
- Use this filling and Athens® Phyllo Shells to make spanakopita cups instead of triangles. Simply spoon filling into shells and bake at 350ºF for 15-20 minutes.