Taco night just got tastier. Try surrounding your favorite taco fillings in a light, flaky phyllo taco bowl that will deliver a zesty crunch you’ll love.
- 16 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime zest
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Manchego cheese, grated
- Cooking spray
- Your favorite taco fillings such as:
- Ground beef, browned and seasoned
- Rotisserie chicken
- Shredded lettuce
- Red onions
- Sour Cream
Thaw one roll of phyllo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 3501/4F.
Unroll and cover phyllo sheets with plastic wrap, then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. In a small bowl, combine lime zest, cilantro and Manchego cheese. Place one sheet of phyllo on work surface, spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with a little lime zest mixture. Fold in half bringing two short sides together forming a rectangle 9” x 7”. Repeat procedure with three more sheets. Place one folded sheet horizontally on work surface. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Lay second folded sheet on top vertically making a “+” sign. Lay third and fourth folded sheets on top like an “x” spraying between each. The final stack should look like an eight pointed star shape. Gently press into a 4.4” nonstick spring form pan, leaving excess to overhang. Repeat process to fill 3 more pans. Spray lightly. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Remove from pans when cooled. Fill with your favorite taco ingredients and serve.
Serving size: 1 bowl (49g), Amount per serving: Calories 150, Total Fat – 2g, Saturated fat – 1g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol –5mg, Sodium – 180 mg, Dietary Fiber – 1g, Total Carbohydrate – 27g Sugars – 3g, Protein – 5g, Vitamin D –0%, Potassium – 0%, Calcium 6%, Iron 6%
• For smaller taco bowls, use large cavity muffin tins instead of spring form pans.
• Bowls can be prepared and baked up to one day in advance and stored at room temperature in air tight containers. Fill when ready to serve.
• Other hard cheese such as Romano or parmesan may be substituted for Manchego.
• Dry Ranch dressing mix or other seasoning combinations may be used in place of lime, cilantro, cheese mixture.
• If only have 1 spring form pan, prepare the phyllo just prior to baking each bowl