Apple chicken sausage, wild rice, feta and spinach come together in a flaky phyllo roll in this tasty entrée.
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup cream of mushroom soup, such as Campbell’s Healthy Requests
- 8 teaspoons frozen, chopped spinach, thawed
- 4 Tablespoons Feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 precooked apple chicken sausages, split in half lengthwise, such as Bilinski’s Apple Chardonnay
- 16 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed
- Cooking spray
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a small saucepan, combine wild rice, water and cream of mushroom soup and prepare according to the instructions on the wild rice package.
- Squeeze water from thawed spinach and drain on paper towels.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine spinach, Feta and 1/2 cup of cooked wild rice mixture. Set aside.
- Thaw one roll of phyllo, following thawing instructions on package. Place one sheet of phyllo on counter, keeping the remaining sheets covered with a damp towel or plastic wrap. Lightly coat the entire phyllo sheet with cooking spray. Repeat with three more sheets of phyllo, but do not spray the top layer of phyllo.
- Place layered sheets widthwise on counter. Place one half of the sausage in the center of the phyllo about 1-1/2” from the bottom. Place filling on the chicken sausage and top with the remaining sausage half. Fold the short end over the sausage. Fold the long sides in toward the center of the roll. Begin rolling from the short edge over the sausage. Make sure the roll is tight and continue rolling tightly to the end of the phyllo.
- Spray a baking tray and place the phyllo roll seam side down on the baking tray. Lightly spray the roll and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Repeat to make three more rolls. Re-roll unused sheets and wrap in plastic for later use.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Serve.