Apple chicken sausage, wild rice, feta and spinach come together in a flaky phyllo roll in this tasty entrée.
- 12 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup cream of mushroom soup, such as Campbell’s Healthy Requests
- 2 tablespoons frozen, chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/3 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 precooked apple chicken sausages, split in half lengthwise, such as Bilinski’s Apple Chardonnay
- Cooking spray
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Thaw one roll of phyllo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a small saucepan, combine wild rice, water and cream of mushroom soup and prepare according to the instructions on the wild rice package.
- Squeeze water from thawed spinach and drain on paper towels.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine spinach, Feta and 1/2 cup of cooked wild rice mixture. Set aside.
- Unroll and cover phyllo with plastic wrap, then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. Place one sheet of phyllo on work surface, lightly coat the entire phyllo sheet with cooking spray. Layer and repeat with two more sheets of phyllo, but do not spray the top layer of phyllo.
- Place layered sheets widthwise on work surface. Place one half of the sausage in the center of the phyllo about 1-1/2” from the bottom. Place filling on the chicken sausage and top with the remaining sausage half. Fold the short end over the sausage. Fold the long sides in toward the center of the roll. Begin rolling from the short edge over the sausage. Make sure the roll is tight and continue rolling tightly to the end of the phyllo.
- Spray a baking tray and place the phyllo roll seam side down on the baking tray. Lightly spray the roll and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Repeat procedure to make three more rolls. Reroll unused sheets and follow storing instructions on package.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Serve.
Serving size: 1 roll (220g), Amount per serving: Calories 370, Total Fat – 12g, Saturated fat – 3.5g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol – 75mg, Sodium – 1040 mg, Total Carbohydrate – 43g, Dietary Fiber – 1g, Sugars – 5g, Protein –21g, Vitamin D – 0%, Calcium 8%, Iron 6%, Potassium – 2%,