Courtesy of Chef Dino Lubbat, Dinotto Ristorante, Chicago
- Cooking spray
- 12 sheets Athens Phyllo Dough (9 x 14), thawed
- 5 medium, Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup of water, for soaking apples
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, unsalted, room temperature, cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 strawberries, for garnish
- Spray the outside of four, 2-ounce soufflé cups and set them upside down on baking trays.
- Unroll Phyllo sheets. Spray one sheet of Phyllo with cooking spray, fold it in half and place it over the soufflé cup. Drape and crimp the edges around the base of the cup. Repeat, folding two more sheets of Phyllo. Spray the outside of the last sheet. Repeat the same process on the remaining cups. Leave enough space between each cup to drape adjacent cups.
- Bake in preheated 3501/4F oven for 10 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- After cooling, carefully remove the blossoms from each soufflé cup.
- Core, peel and slice the apples. Slices should be no more than about ¼-inch thick. Place slices in a medium bowl filled with room temperature water and lemon to prevent browning.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, combine sugar, butter and cinnamon, allowing the sugar to melt. Add ½ cup water. Stir to remove lumps.
- Drain apple slices, add to mixture in saucepan and stir to coat apples thoroughly. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until apples are cooked through.
- Remove cooked apples from pan and set aside, saving the liquid in the pan. Continue cooking the liquid until it reduces and thickens to create a flavorful apple-cinnamon sauce.
- Fill Phyllo blossoms with apples and then drizzle with apple-cinnamon sauce reduction.
- Garnish with whipped cream and apple slices or a strawberry.
- Serve immediately.
[embedplusvideo height=”433″ width=”770″ editlink=”http://bit.ly/2s3CUL1″ standard=”http://www.youtube.com/v/4EJhwCpM9Cg?fs=1&vq=hd720″ vars=”ytid=4EJhwCpM9Cg&width=770&height=433&start=&stop=&rs=w&hd=1&autoplay=0&react=1&chapters=¬es=” id=”ep9863″ /]
Use butter flavored cooking spray or substitute ¼ cup melted butter.
Lightly sprinkle sugar and cinnamon between the layers of Phyllo dough before you fold them to add more flavor.
When serving, place a scoop of ice cream or gelato in each Phyllo cup and top with warm apples slices and sauce reduction. Serve with fresh mint.