Make it Fabulous with Phyllo Recipe Contest Entry
- 1/2 cup mixed candied fruit, chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rum or apple cider
- 1 lemon
- 8 medium Golden Delicious apples, peeled and cored
- 20 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Confectioner’s sugar, for garnish
- Half and half, optional
- Cut lemon and squeeze into a bowl of water (enough to submerge apples). This will prevent browning. Keep in lemon water until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, combine candied fruit, raisins and rum (or apple cider). Spoon fruit mixture into cored apples.
- Layer five sheets of phyllo with cooking spray and sugar. Cut the phyllo stack in half lengthwise. Place an apple in center of each Phyllo square. Bring opposite corners of Phyllo together over apples. Pinch seams and spray a little with cooking spray to seal. Repeat process to make 8 apple dumplings.
- Place wrapped apples, 1/2 inch apart, on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown in a preheated 375°F oven.
- Dust each apple with confectioner’s sugar.
- Serve warm with half and half, if desired.