Tart and crisp Granny Smith apples wrapped up with warm hints of cinnamon and nutmeg to deliver your favorite fall flavors in every bite. These turnovers can be a sweet addition to a brunch or dessert after dinner.
- 9 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″x14″), thawed
- Cooking spray
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced 1/2″
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- Pinch salt
- Thaw one roll of Phyllo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine apples, lemon zest and juice to prevent the apples from browning. Add the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt to the apples. Toss to coat.
- Open the Phyllo and cover the sheets with a damp towel or plastic wrap to prevent drying out. Place one sheet of Phyllo on cutting surface and lightly coat with cooking spray. Repeat with two more sheets of Phyllo, but do not spray the top layer of Phyllo. Cut layered Phyllo into thirds lengthwise.
- Place one tablespoon of filling about 1” from corner of each strip. Fold one corner of Phyllo diagonally across to opposite edge to form a triangle. Continue to fold triangle onto itself.
- Repeat to make six more turnovers.
- Coat the outside of the triangle with cooking spray to produce a golden brown color when baked.
- Arrange on a baking tray.
- Re-roll unused sheets and follow storing instructions on package.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.
Turnovers can be wrapped in plastic and frozen prior to baking. To serve, unwrap and follow baking instructions.