A filling of apples, rhubarb and raisins finds a home in flaky phyllo in these tasty pastry pouches.
- 2 1/2 cups (2 large) apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1 cup rhubarb, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ginger, ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 20 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″x14″), thawed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In large saucepan, combine apples, rhubarb, raisins, sugar, water, lemon juice, salt, ginger, coriander and cloves.
- Bring to a boil, over high heat. Then cover and lower heat to simmer. Stir occasionally until the mixture thickens, about 30 minutes.
Let mixture cool to room temperature.
- Layer 4 phyllo sheets, brushing each with melted butter. Cut six, 4-inch squares from phyllo stack.
- Place 3 teaspoons of filling in center of square.
- Brush phyllo from edge of filling to each point of square lightly with water.
- Gather points of square and pinch together just above filling. Brush pouch with butter.
- Repeat process 4 times to make 30 pouches.
- Place filled pouches at least 1″ apart on ungreased cookie sheet or baking pan.
- Bake in preheated 3501/4F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.