Tender asparagus sprinkled with bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese & bacon and wrapped in phyllo dough. Recipe by Barbara Schieving from Barbara Bakes blog.
- 6 sheets Athens Phyllo® Dough (9” x 14”), thawed
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, seasoned
- 2 tablespoons crisp bacon, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 18 medium asparagus spears, trimmed
- Cooking spray
Thaw one roll of phyllo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 350°F. Unroll and cover the sheets with a damp towel or plastic wrap to prevent drying out.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the bread crumbs, bacon, and Parmesan cheese. Place one sheet of phyllo on work surface and lightly coat half of the sheet with cooking spray lengthwise. Fold sheet in half lengthwise and spray top layer.
Place 3 spears of asparagus on top of the phyllo dough 1-inch from the short end. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the bread crumb mixture evenly on the asparagus. Roll the phyllo around the asparagus to create a bundle. Place bundle on a baking tray seam side down. Lightly spray the outside. Sprinkle with bread crumb mixture to garnish.
Repeat with remaining sheets of phyllo dough and asparagus. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the phyllo is a light, golden brown and asparagus is tender. Serve immediately.
- To make ahead: assemble, place on baking tray, wrap in plastic and refrigerate up to 12 hours before baking. To serve, unwrap and bake per directions.