Herb on the street is, this savory pie will be your new favorite weeknight dinner. Plus, the leftovers make for an awesome work lunch the next day.
- 12 sheets Athens Phyllo Dough (9”x14”), thawed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 4 cups baby greens such as baby spinach, young chicory, baby arugula and young dandelion leaves, washed and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, finely chopped
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon Cream of Wheat (regular or quick-cooking)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Thaw one roll of phyllo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add onions and scallions and cook for 2 minutes. Add the baby greens and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 3 – 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Place the mixture in a colander and drain well. Let mixture cool to room temperature.
Transfer the greens to a large bowl and add the parsley, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well. Add the cottage cheese, feta cheese, Cream of Wheat, and beaten eggs; stir to combine.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Lightly brush an 8×8″ or 8″ round x 1″ deep baking pan with the butter-oil mixture. Unroll and cover phyllo sheets with plastic wrap, then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. Overlap 6 phyllo sheets in the pan, brushing each sheet with the butter-oil mixture. Cover the bottom and sides of the pan, and let the excess phyllo hang over the edge. Pour the filling over the phyllo and spread it out evenly. Fold the overhanging phyllo over the top of the greens mixture. Brush with the butter-oil mixture. Top with the remaining 6 phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter-oil mixture. Fold up the overhanging phyllo, tucking in the edges to seal. Sprinkle the top with ground cinnamon.
Bake in preheated 350°F oven for about 60 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 45 hour before serving.
Serving size: 1 piece (135g), Amount per serving: Calories 250, Calories from Fat – 150, Total Fat – 17g, Saturated fat – 7g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol – 75mg, Sodium – 430 mg, Total Carbohydrate – 16g, Dietary Fiber – 2g, Sugars – 3g, Protein – 10g