Looking for appetizer ideas? The flavors of cream cheese, bacon and dates produce a surprisingly delightful combination in these flaky pinwheels.
- 1 roll (20 sheets) Athens Phyllo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed
- 10 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon bacon drippings
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 cup dates, pitted, 1/4″ diced, divided
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tablespoon water
Thaw one roll of Phyllo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 375⁰F.
In a medium mixing bowl, thoroughly combine softened cream cheese, bacon, bacon drippings and salt.
Unroll and cover Phyllo sheets with plastic wrap, then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. Place one sheet of Phyllo on work surface and lightly coat with cooking spray. Layer and repeat with 6 more sheets. Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of brown sugar on the top sheet. Layer one more sheet of Phyllo. Spray and sprinkle another 1/2 tablespoon of brown sugar. Add two more layers of Phyllo, spraying each but not adding any more brown sugar.
Using a plastic storage bag or pastry bag, pipe half of the cream cheese mixture in swirls all over the layered Phyllo dough. Reserve the remaining cheese mixture for the second roll.
Leaving a 1/4” border, place 1/2 cup of the dates in a line parallel with one long side of the Phyllo and sprinkled evenly over the surface. Reserve the remaining 1/2 cup of dates for the second roll.
Starting with the long side of the Phyllo, begin rolling the pinwheel tightly. Spray oil on the last 1/4” border of Phyllo to seal the seam.
Repeat Phyllo layering, filling and rolling procedure to make one more roll.
With a sharp, thin knife, in a guillotine manner, cut the pinwheels into 1/4” to 1/2” segments and arrange on a baking tray. To improve browning, whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon of water to form an egg wash and brush over each pinwheel. If desired, insert a skewer through the sides of each pinwheel.
Bake for 8-10 minutes. Serve.
Serving size: 33g; Calories: 110; Calories from Fat: 50; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 2.5g; Trans Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 20mg; Sodium: 140mg; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 6g; Protein: 3g
• For easier slicing, wrap roll in plastic wrap and freeze for one hour prior to slicing.
• Can substitute 1 1/2 oz. real bacon bits for crumbled bacon.
• MAKE AHEAD: Pinwheel rolls can be cut, wrapped in plastic and frozen prior to baking. To serve: Unwrap; do not defrost; brush with egg wash and bake following baking instructions.