Marinated beef tenderloin is joined in flaky phyllo pouches by stir-fried mushrooms and bell peppers in these Eastern-inspired delights.
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/4 pounds beef tenderloin, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 4 cups oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup green bell peppers, finely diced
- 1/3 cup red bell peppers, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup prepared brown sauce (package mix, canned or from scratch)
- 20 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Garnish: 1/4 cup finely diced red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup cut fresh chives
In large bowl, combine soy sauce, sherry, 2 cloves garlic and 1 tablespoon ginger. Add beef and marinate while preparing rest of ingredients.
Remove beef from marinade, reserving 1/4 cup marinade.
In large wok or skillet, heat 1/4 cup peanut oil until it smokes, add beef and sauté quickly for 3 minutes. Remove and place into bowl.
Add rest of peanut oil with remaining tablespoon ginger and 2 cloves garlic. Add mushrooms and peppers and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup marinade, sesame oil and brown sauce. Heat thoroughly and toss with beef in bowl. Chill completely.
Prepare large Phyllo pouches according to directions for pouches linked to the right. Fill each pouch with 1/4 cup of beef mixture. Brush with butter. Freeze for 10 minutes.
Bake pouches in preheated 3501/4F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Prepare Ginger-Lime Sauce, spoon 1/4 cup of sauce in center of plate, and place 3 pouches on sauce. Combine all garnish ingredients. Sprinkle on sauce.