This recipe puts a flavorful chicken chili filling into flaky phyllo shells.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 10 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″x14″), thawed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts, diced into 1/2″ cubes
- 1/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red (or green) bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno (or hot pepper), stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
Melt butter with 2 tablespoons oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Lightly brush 3” tart pans or cupcake pans with butter-oil mixture.
Layer 5 phyllo sheets, brushing each with the butter-oil mixture. Cut four 4-inch circles from phyllo stack. Place phyllo circle in the buttered pan. Carefully push phyllo into pan, pressing firmly against bottom and sides. Repeat process to make 12 shells.
Bake empty phyllo shells in preheated 350°F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes. Remove shells from pans.
In large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add chicken, onions, and peppers and sauté for 7 to 10 minutes, or
until chicken is cooked and vegetables are tender. Add chili powder, cocoa, and cinnamon and toss to coat.
Stir in diced tomatoes and brown sugar. Simmer over low heat, uncovered, for about 8 to 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and set aside. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of filling into each shell. Top with dollop of sour cream, if desired. Serve immediately.