Chicken, Italian sausage and mozzarella are the stars of this dish, whose flavor is kicked up a notch with a roasted garlic cream sauce.
- 12 ounces boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 beefsteak tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup Knorrís brown sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2” cubes
- 6 sheets Athens Phyllo Dough
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, cut into 1/2” lengths
Place chicken breasts into small bowl, season with salt, pepper and vinegar. Marinate for 1 hour.
Remove chicken from marinade and place in pan. Place sausage in separate pan. Roast both in preheated 375°F oven for 10 minutes.
Cool chicken and sausage. Cut into 3/4″ cubes and mix together. In large saucepan, saute onions in butter for 5 minutes.
Add wine and simmer until liquid is reduced by half. Add chicken/sausage mixture and brown sauce.
Stir together and bring to a simmer. Cool. Add basil leaves, mozzarella and half of chopped tomato.
Prepare 6 Phyllo tart shells, 4″ diameter, in greased pan according to directions for (hyperlink) on our Shapes & Uses page.
Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 7 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and remove from pan.
Spoon mixture into Phyllo shells and bake in preheated 375°F oven about 8 minutes or until cheese bubbles.
Prepare Roasted Garlic Cream. Spoon hot garlic cream onto plate.
Place hot tart in cream and garnish with chives and remaining chopped tomato.