Let your guests choose their favorites from among three classic hors d’oeuvres — chicken salad, egg salad and cucumbers with cream cheese — with these easy phyllo shell appetizers.
- 3 packages (15 count, each) Athens® Phyllo Shells
- 15 assorted small spring mix lettuce leaves
- 4 ounces chicken salad, favorite store-bought (i.e., cranberry almond chicken salad)
- 15 each grape tomatoes, or very small cherry tomatoes
- 4 ounces egg salad, favorite store-bought
- 2 sprigs oregano, for garnish
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika, for garnish
- 1/2 seedless cucumber
- 4 ounces Philadelphia Brand Chive & Onion Cream Cheese Spread
- 15 small dill leaves, for garnish
For chicken salad phyllo shells:
Place one lettuce leaf in each of 15 shells, so that some of leaf is visible after shell is filled. Spoon 1 heaping teaspoon of filling on top of the lettuce leaf.
For egg salad phyllo shells:
With stem end down, make a vertical cut in the tomato, cutting almost to the bottom. Turn tomato a quarter turn and make another cut almost to the bottom so you have made an “X” shape. Gently pull the tomato open and place one tomato in each of 15 Phyllo shells. Spoon or pipe egg salad inside each tomato. Garnish with oregano leaves and sprinkle lightly with paprika.
For cucumber phyllo shells:
Cut cucumber in half. Place half in refrigerator for another use. Peel cucumber half. Slice part of the cucumber into 15 1/4-inch slices. Finely dice the remaining. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of diced cucumbers in each of the 15 shells. Pipe or spoon 1 heaping teaspoon of cream cheese spread on top of the diced cucumbers. Garnish with a cucumber slice and a dill leaf.
For added crispness, preheat oven to 350⁰F. Place empty shells on a baking sheet and bake for 3-5 minutes. Cool and fill.
If desired, the cucumber can be cut into flower or heart shapes using mini cookie/vegetable cutters, which can be found in most craft and bakery supply stores.