Filled with crisp apples and tart cranberries accompanied by cinnamon and sugar, these flaky turnovers make for a sweet pastry treat.
- 8 sheets Athens Phyllo dough
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 4 cups baking apples, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup cranberries, coarse chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 teaspoons plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
Combine apples, cranberries, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and salt mixing lightly.
Prepare 4 medium Phyllo rolls by following the directions for rolls linked to the right.
Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of bread crumbs on each strip; place 2 tablespoons of apple filling on top and roll.
Brush each triangle with melted butter or margarine and score top.
Bake in preheated 375° F oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown, remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar while still warm.