These mini pies pack intense chocolate flavor, creamy sweetness and a crunch that’s impossible to resist!
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar
- ¼ teaspoon crème de cacao (optional)
- 2 packages (15 count, each) Athens® Phyllo Shells Chocolate Flavor
- ¼ cup milk chocolate toffee bits, such as Heath Milk Chocolate Toffee Bits, for garnish
In a medium sauce pan, whisk together sugar and milk. Simmer mixture, whisking frequently. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and cornstarch together. Temper the eggs by slowly whisking in 1 tablespoon of heated milk mixture and then repeat with 3 more tablespoons of milk mixture (1 at a time).
Slowly whisk egg mixture into heated milk. Whisk constantly until it starts to thicken and comes to a very gentle boil. Remove pan from heat and whisk in butter, salt, chocolate and vanilla extract until smooth. Cover filling with plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
While filling is chilling, make whip cream. In a small chilled bowl, combine heavy cream, confectioners sugar and crème de cacao. Using an electric mixer, beat until stiff peaks form.
Pipe or spoon chocolate filling into phyllo shells. Top with whipped cream, toffee bits and serve.
Serving size: 1 shell (20g), Amount per serving: Calories 50, Total Fat –4g, Saturated Fat –2g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol – 20 mg, Sodium – 20mg,Total Carbohydrate – 5g, Dietary Fiber – 0g Sugars – 3g, Protein – 1g, Vitamin D – 0%, Calcium – 2%, Iron 6%, Potassium – 0%
- May also be stored in freezer and served as an ice cold treat.