Pizza gets a Mexican-inspired twist and a flaky phyllo crust with this fun and exotic recipe.
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 canned chipotle in adobo or 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 20 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″x14″), thawed
- 1/4 cup Asiago (or Parmesan) cheese, freshly grated
- 1 cup roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, thinly sliced and drained well
- 1 cup green olives with or without pimiento, chopped
- 1/2 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 2 cups romaine (or iceberg) lettuce, shredded
Thaw one roll of phyllo dough, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 350°
Place 1/4 cup oil, chipotle, garlic and salt in a mini food processor and emulsify until smooth.
Unroll and cover phyllo with plastic wrap and then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. Lightly brush a 15” x 10” baking sheet or pan with 1 teaspoon oil. Overlap 20 phyllo sheets in the baking pan, brushing each sheet with chipotle-oil. Cover the bottom of the pan and let the excess phyllo hang over the edge.
Score lightly. Roll phyllo edges onto themselves to form a crust. Brush top sheet and edges with chipotle-oil. Top with cheese.
Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese melts. Top with tomatoes, roasted red peppers, olives, scallions and lettuce. Slice into wedges and serve warm.