Enjoy all the flavors of French onion soup in the form of a bite size appetizer! Pack crispy phyllo shells with sweet caramelized onions, fresh thyme and Gruyère cheese. Recipe and photo by Gavin & Karen from Couple in the Kitchen blog.
- 2 packages (15 count, each) Athens® Phyllo Shells
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups Vidalia onions, thinly sliced (about 2-3 onions)
- 1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon beef bouillon paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme leaves, picked, plus additional for garnish
- 3/4 cup Gruyère cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Thinly slice 2-3 onions. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Once melted, add the onions to the pan, cover and let cook for 10 minutes until softened.
Uncover onions and add beef bouillon paste, Worcestershire sauce, fresh thyme leaves, salt and pepper. Cook on medium heat for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions caramelize and turn a deep brown color.
Fill the phyllo shells with a scoop of caramelized onion filling, then top with shredded Gruyère cheese. Broil the shells for 5-6 minutes until the cheese is melted and begins to brown. Garnish with additional fresh thyme.