It may look like tuna salad, but it’s not. Delicious garbanzo salad phyllo shells are perfect (and perfectly delicious) for a light lunch, snacks or elegant appetizers. Dress it up or dress it down, this vegan friendly garbanzo salad is a hit!
- 1 can (15 ounce) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons celery, small diced
- 2 tablespoons sweet relish
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ½ tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ cup butter lettuce leaves, torn
- ¼ cup alfalfa sprouts
- 2 packages (15 count, each) Athens® Phyllo Shells
- sunflower seeds (optional for garnish)
- cherry tomatoes, diced (optional for garnish)
- avocado, diced (optional for garnish)
- capers, drained (optional for garnish)
- fresh dill (optional for garnish)
In a medium bowl, mash garbanzos using a potato masher or back of a fork. The consistency should be somewhat chunky, not puree-like. Add in onion, celery, relish, sea salt, pepper, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Mix well, until all is incorporated.
Place piece of lettuce leaf or a pinch of sprouts in phyllo shells. Spoon Salad onto each. Garnish as desired.
Serving size: 1 Shell (21g), Amount per serving: Calories 35, Total Fat – 1.5g, Saturated fat – 0g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol – 0mg, Sodium – 80mg, Dietary Fiber – 0g, Total Carbohydrate – 4g, Sugars – 1g, Protein – 1g, Vitamin D – 0%, Calcium 0%, Iron 0%, Potassium – 0%
For added crispness, preheat oven to 350°F. Place empty shells on a baking sheet and bake for 3-5 minutes. Cool and fill.