A summer meal wrapped up in crisp phyllo? These Mediterranean-inspired shrimp packets make the perfect summer dinner — just serve with a light salad.
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and quartered
- 3 tablespoons basil pesto
- 20 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons green bell pepper, minced
Thaw one roll of phyllo, following instructions on package. Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a medium bowl, toss together the feta, shrimp, green pepper, onion, and olives. Add the basil pesto and mix well.
Unroll and cover phyllo sheets with plastic wrap, then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. Place one sheet of phyllo on work surface, spray lightly with cooking spray and then sprinkle with about 1/8 teaspoon of the breadcrumbs. Repeat with 4 more layers of phyllo. Do not sprinkle breadcrumbs on the top layer. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut the phyllo into sixths by cutting it in half lengthwise and then by cutting each half into thirds. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of filling in the center of each square.
To make the phyllo packets, bring the opposite corners of the phyllo together over the filling. Then bring the second pair of opposite corners to the center, connecting all four corners. Moisten the central intersection with water and press into place. Repeat the entire process with the remaining phyllo and filling to make 24 packets. Place each packet on cookie sheet and spray lightly with cooking spray. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until phyllo is golden brown. To serve, garnish with red and green peppers.