- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup extra-fine sugar
- Food coloring, if desired
- 3 packages (15 count, each) Athens® Phyllo Shells
- Assorted fillings of choice such as: lemon curd, cherrypreserves, egg-shaped candies, etc.
Preheat oven to 200⁰F. In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk four egg whites at medium speed approximately 5 minutes or until foamy. Add cream of tartar and continue whisking until soft peaks start to form. Increase speed to medium-high and add sugar one tablespoon at a time, whisking for 5-10 minutes or until stiff peaks form and meringue is glossy but not dry.
If using food coloring, add and whisk 1 minute or until color is incorporated.
Using a round or star-shaped tip, pipe meringue in a circular motion inside shell, continuing up above the shell sides, i.e. “building walls” with the center empty. Place on baking sheet and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the meringues are dry. Turn off the oven and allow the meringue shells to rest inside for 15 minutes.
Spoon or pipe desired filling into the centers. Serve at room temperature.
Nutritional information is without filling Serving size: 1 shell (11g); Calories: 35; Calories from Fat: 5; Total Fat: .5g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Trans Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 15mg; Total Carbohydrate: 6g; Dietary Fiber: 0g; Sugars: 4g; Protein: 1g; Vitamin A: 0%; Vitamin C: 0%; Calcium: 0%; Iron: 0%
• Granulated sugar processed in a food processor for 1 minute can be substituted for extra-fine sugar
• Once baked, the meringue shells (without filling) can be stored for 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature.