Inspired by the French classic, this dessert puts banana slices, kiwi slices and a delectable passion fruit pastry cream between flaky Phyllo Napoleon layers.
- 1 cup passion fruit purÈe (or 2/3 cup orange juice concentrate with 1/3 cup water)
- 2 large eggs
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut in 1/2″ cubes
- 12 sheets Athens Phyllo dough
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 kiwis, peeled and sliced 1/4″
- 2 bananas, sliced 1/4″ on diagonal
- Confectioners sugar to dust
- Raspberries and mint leaves for garnish
In top of double boiler, over hot water, whisk passion fruit purée, eggs, yolks, sugar and orange peel together. Stir mixture until thickened, about 25 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in butter. Prepare 18 Phyllo Napoleon circles by following the directions for napoleons linked to the right.
Cut Phyllo dough using 4” round fluted pastry cutter. Place on greased baking sheet, top with wax paper and place another baking sheet on top.
Bake in preheated 350°F oven about 7 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Place banana slice on Phyllo round, pipe passion fruit cream on top using a pastry bag.
Top with another Phyllo round and kiwi slices, more passion fruit cream and finally with a third Phyllo round. Dust with confectioners sugar. Garnish with mint and berries.