These flaky pastry desserts are sure to delight fruit lovers with a warm filling of cardamom-spiced peaches.
- 12†sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″x14″), thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 5†Tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 1/2†Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 8 oz. frozen peaches, thawed, diced 1/4″ – 1/2″
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- Cooking spray
Thaw one roll of Phyllo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a medium bowl, whisk together cardamom, 3 tablespoons sugar, flour and salt. Add peaches and combine.
Unroll and cover Phyllo sheets with plastic wrap, then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. Place one sheet of Phyllo on work surface and lightly coat with cooking spray. Repeat with two more sheets of Phyllo, but do not spray the top layer of Phyllo. Cut layered Phyllo into thirds lengthwise. Place one tablespoon of filling about 1” from corner of each strip. Fold one corner of Phyllo diagonally across to opposite edge to form a triangle. Continue to fold triangle onto itself. Repeat with remaining Phyllo and place triangles on baking sheet. Reroll unused sheets and follow storing instructions on package.
In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and water to form an egg wash. Lightly brush triangles with egg wash and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve.
- Turnovers can be wrapped in plastic and frozen prior to baking. Bake as instructed without defrosting.urnovers can be wrapped in plastic and frozen prior to baking.
- Cinnamon and nutmeg are good alternatives to cardamom if desired.
Serving size: 1 turnover (21g), Amount per serving: Calories 70, Calories from Fat – 5, Total Fat –.5g, Saturated fat – 0g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol –15 mg, Sodium – 65mg,Total carbohydrate – 11g, Dietary Fiber – 0g Sugars – 6g, Protein – 1g, Vitamin A – 0%, Vitamin C – 0%, Calcium – 0%, Iron 2%