A festive, one-bite dessert option filled with flavors of peppermint, white chocolate, and toasted meringue. Recipe and photo by Christiann Koepke.
- 5 ounces white chocolate bark, roughly chopped chocolate
- 8 ounces full-fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 package (15 count, each) Athens® Chocolate Flavor Phyllo Shells
- 1¾ cups superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot flour
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¾ teaspoons apple cider vinegar or white
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- Peppermint bark, roughly chopped
- White chocolate shavings
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the phyllo shells on a baking sheet and bake for 3 to 5 minutes, until crisp. Let cool while you prepare the filling.
In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the white chocolate bark and cream cheese. Microwave in 25-second intervals, stirring between each interval. Continue until the mixture is smooth.
In a stand mixer or mixing bowl with an electric whisk, whip together the vanilla and heavy whipping cream until medium peaks form. Fold about half of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture to lighten. Fold in the remaining whipped cream until smooth and uniform.
Fill the phyllo shells ⅔ of the way with the cream cheese mixture. Place in the fridge and chill for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
Meanwhile, prepare the meringue. In a small bowl, combine the sugar and arrowroot. In a separate bowl, combine the vanilla and vinegar. In a standing mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gradually add in the sugar mixture, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix until thick and glossy. Sprinkle in the vanilla mixture and beat on medium for another 20 seconds or so until just combined and peaks remain stiff.
Before serving, top each phyllo cup with meringue and torch to brown. If you have leftover meringue, you can bake it into cookies or spoon it on top of ice cream. Garnish with chopped peppermint bark and white chocolate shavings.