A classic pizza combination — tomato sauce, mozzarella and pepperoni — meets a unique twist in this dish featuring a light, flaky phyllo crust.
- 10 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″x 14″), thawed
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons pizza sauce
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, sliced or shredded
- 2 ounces pepperoni, sliced
- oregano leaves, optional for garnish
Phyllo Crust: Unroll and cover phyllo sheets with plastic wrap and then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. Preheat oven to 375ºF
In a small mixing bowl, combine egg white, oil and water with a fork. Place one sheet of phyllo on cutting surface and lightly coat with egg white mixture. Repeat with nine more sheets of phyllo. Cut the layered phyllo in half width wise to create two pizza bases and place on a baking tray. Re-roll unused sheets and follow storing instructions on package.
Bake for 8 minutes or just until the phyllo starts to brown. Remove from oven and cool.
Spread half the pizza sauce over each baked pizza base. Top each pizza with cheese and pepperoni. Bake on baking tray for 10-12 minutes. Sprinkle with oregano leaves and cut into pieces. Serve.
Serving size: 1 pizza half (196g), Amount per serving: Calories 600, Total Fat – 37g, Saturated fat – 12g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol – 55mg, Sodium – 900 mg, Dietary Fiber – 1g, Total Carbohydrate –42g, Total Sugars – 6g, Protein –23g, Vitamin D – 0%, Calcium 25%, Iron 6%, Potassium 4%
- Assembled pizzas can be wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen prior to 2nd baking. To serve, unwrap and follow baking instructions.
- Egg white mixture holds phyllo layers together better than cooking spray.