Make it Fabulous with Phyllo Recipe Contest Entry
- 1 apple (such as Pink Lady), divided use
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping (spoon-able type)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 package (15 count) Athens® Mini Phyllo Shells
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped peanuts
Quarter and core apple; tightly wrap three-quarters of apple in plastic wrap and set aside for use as garnish.
Peel remaining apple quarter very finely and mince to yield 3 tablespoons. In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, minced apples, 1/3 cup caramel, powdered sugar and cinnamon mixing well. In a small chilled bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into cream cheese mixture.
Evenly pipe mousse into shells, using a medium size star tip. (Alternately, you may spoon mixture into shells if you prefer.) Filling can be refrigerated for up to 4 hours.
Just before serving, very thinly slice reserved apple into about 30 to 45 slices (cut in half if slices are long). Drizzle tarts evenly with remaining 2 tablespoons of caramel (slightly heat caramel if necessary for drizzling consistency); garnish each shell with peanuts. Place 2 to 3 slices of apple into side of each tart, with tops slightly fanned. Serve immediately.