Warm roasted veggies and crispy golden phyllo croutons come together to make this hearty vegetable salad. Recipe by Sheela Prakash.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, halved or quartered (if large)
- 1/2 large red onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 roll Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, grated or minced
- 2 ounces baby spinach (about 2 packed cups)
Thaw one roll of phyllo, following thawing instructions on package. Arrange 2 oven racks so that the oven is divided into thirds. Preheat oven to 425°F.
Place the sweet potato, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, and red onion on a rimmed baking tray. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and toss to coat. Spread out in an even layer. Transfer to the bottom rack of the oven and roast until the vegetables are tender and lightly caramelized, tossing halfway through, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the phyllo croutons.
Remove the roll of phyllo dough from its packaging but do not unroll. Slice the roll crosswise into 1-inch cylinders and place in a large bowl. Use your fingers to unravel the cylinders, tossing and separating them into individual strips. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and toss gently to coat. Spread the strips out into a single layer on a rimmed baking tray. Transfer to the top rack of the oven and bake until crisp and golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Gently toss occasionally to prevent burning.
Meanwhile, make the dressing. In a bowl, add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon, garlic, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Whisk until combined and emulsified.
Transfer the roasted vegetables to the large bowl of dressing and toss to coat. Let cool for 5 minutes, then add spinach. Toss gently until spinach is lightly wilted. Divide among individual serving plates or shallow bowls, sprinkle generously with phyllo croutons, and serve.