These meat-free, flaky phyllo rolls featuring red and yellow onions, sweet peppers, scallions and fennel make for a great anytime treat.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian sweet peppers (or cubanelle peppers), seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fennel, trimmed, core removed, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cooking spray
- 20 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″x14″), thawed
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onions, scallions, sweet peppers, and fennel and sauté for about 10 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat. Add dill, salt and pepper. Let mixture cool.
Layer 5 phyllo sheets, lightly coating each with cooking spray. Cut the layered phyllo into 4 strips widthwise. Place about 2 tablespoons filling at one end of phyllo strip, leaving 1″ from end and 1/2″ from each side free of any filling. Fold phyllo up over the filling to form a roll. Fold side edges in to enclose the sides. Roll up to the end of phyllo strip. Lightly coat the outside of the roll with cooking spray. Repeat process 3 times to make 16 rolls.
Bake rolls seam-side down, at least 1″ apart, on un-greased cookie sheet or baking pan in preheated 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.