Have fun with your kids this Holiday season with this Santa in a Phyllo Sleigh Christmas Pastry.
- 2 packages (15 count, each) Athens® Mini Phyllo Shells
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes + 1/4 cup
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 30 small candy eyes
- 15 medium strawberries
- 30 candy canes
- 1 tub (16 ounces) vanilla cake frosting
Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Place empty shells on a baking sheet and bake for 3–5 minutes. Cool. In a medium mixing bowl, combine 1 cup coconut, confectioner’s sugar and almonds. Add sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract, mixing well. Roll the mixture into 15 balls approximately 3/4”–1” in diameter. Roll balls in the remaining coconut. Place 2 candy eyes on each ball and squeeze the area between the eyes to sculpt a nose. Hull the strawberries, cut off the tips and set tips aside to be used as “hats”. Place a strawberry into each of the 15 shells, hulled side up. Gently press the coconut balls onto each. As you press, pull a little of the coconut down to the front of the strawberry to represent a beard. Press strawberry hats on top. Pipe a small amount of cake frosting onto each as a “pom pom”.
On a plate, pipe two rows of cake frosting approximately 3/4”–1” apart and fill in the area between with more frosting. (This will be the “glue” that will hold the sleigh together.) Press 1 candy cane into each line of frosting. Set the Santa in between the canes towards the front. Place another empty shell behind it to form the back of the sleigh (see tip below).
Serving size: 74g, Amount per serving: Calories 130, Calories from Fat – 30, Total Fat – 3.5g, Saturated fat – 2.5g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol – 0mg, Sodium – 25 mg, Dietary Fiber – 1g,Total Carbohydrate – 37g, Sugars – 27g, Protein – 1g
• Fill the empty shell with chocolate “presents” or use our Peppermint Christmas Tree Minis recipe http://www.athensfoods.com/recipes/peppermint-christmas-tree-mini-shells/?_sft_parties=christmas-holiday-entertaining#.VlyoDXtUhNE
• Candy eyes can be purchased at most grocery, craft and baking supply stores.