Stuffed with a mixture of pumpkin, two cheeses and more, these flaky and savory phyllo tarts make for a great anytime treat.
- 4 cups sweet cooking pumpkin (or butternut squash), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 pound)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons uncooked bulgur
- 3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup Kefalotyri (or Parmesan) cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 20 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9"x14"), thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, 1 tablespoon oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Lightly brush a large baking sheet with 1 teaspoon oil and evenly spread the pumpkin over it. Bake in preheated 3501/4F oven for about 30 to 40 minutes or
until tender, stirring several times. Place pumpkin in a large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onions and scallions and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Add bulgur, feta, Kefalotyri, and parsley to pumpkin mixture, stirring to combine.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Lightly brush a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate with the butter-oil mixture. Overlap 10 phyllo sheets in the pan, brushing each sheet with the butter-oil mixture. Cover the bottom and sides of the pan, and let the excess phyllo hang over the edge. Pour the pumpkin filling over the phyllo and spread it out evenly. Fold the overhanging phyllo over the top of the mixture. Brush with the butter-oil mixture. Top with the remaining 10 phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter-oil mixture.
Fold up the overhanging phyllo, tucking in the edges to seal. Brush top phyllo layer with butter-oil mixture. Sprinkle the top with ground cinnamon.
Bake in preheated 3501/4F oven for about 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 hour before serving.