This classic Greek treat features spinach and feta cheese in flaky, golden-brown phyllo triangles.
- 1 10 oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup scallions with greens, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, minced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) farmer cheese
- 2 Tbsp. Kefalotyri (or Parmesan) cheese, grated
- 2 large eggs pepper to taste
- 20 sheets†Athens Phyllo® Dough (9″ x 14″ ), thawed
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
Thaw one roll of Phyllo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 350°F.
Squeeze spinach dry. In processor bowl, combine spinach with scallions, parsley, dill, cheeses, eggs and pepper. Process until smooth.
Open the Phyllo and cover the sheets with a damp towel or plastic wrap to prevent drying out. Place one sheet of Phyllo on cutting surface and lightly brush the surface with butter . Repeat with two more sheets of Phyllo, but do not butter the top layer of Phyllo. Cut layered Phyllo into thirds lengthwise. Place one tablespoon of filling about 1” from corner of each strip. Fold one corner of Phyllo diagonally across to opposite edge to form a triangle. Continue to fold triangle onto itself. Brush triangle with butter to produce a golden brown color when baked. Repeat with the remaining strips. Continue with remaining Phyllo sheets until the filling is used up.
Brush outside of triangles with butter. Place seam side down on cookie sheet. Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.