Sauteed eggplant takes center stage in this crispy appetizer that also features feta, red peppers and caramelized onions.
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon onions julienne-cut, for garnish
- ½ teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 ⅔ cup eggplant, peeled, ½” cubed
- 2 tablespoons red bell peppers, diced
- 3 tablespoons salsa
- ¼ cup fresh spinach, coarsely chopped, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomatoes, julienne cut
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1 package (15 count) Athens® Phyllo Shells
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a small skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of oil over medium heat. Add onions and slowly sauté until fully caramelized and dark brown, about 5 minutes. Remove onions and set aside.
Heat 2 teaspoons of oil, add garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add eggplant and sauté for 7-10 minutes. Add bell peppers and salsa. Simmer until all liquid has evaporated.
Add spinach, tomatoes and cheese. Mix lightly. Spoon filling into each phyllo shell. Bake in oven for 5 minutes. Garnish with the caramelized onion. Serve warm.