Sauteed eggplant takes center stage in this crispy appetizer that also features feta, red peppers and caramelized onions.
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoons julienne-cut onions, for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 2/3 cup peeled 1/2 inch cubed eggplant
- 2 tablespoons medium diced red bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons salsa
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped, firmly packed fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon julienne-cut sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat feta cheese
- 1 package (15 count) Athens® Mini Phyllo Shells
In a small skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of oil over medium heat and slowly saute onions until fully caramelized and dark brown about 5 minutes. Remove onions and set aside.
Heat 2 teaspoons of oil, add garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add eggplant and saute for 7-10 minutes. Add bell peppers and salsa. Simmer until all liquid is evaporated and turn off heat.
Add spinach, tomatoes and cheese. Mix lightly. Spoon 1 rounded teaspoon of filling into each Phyllo shell. Garnish with the caramelized onion. Heat in preheated 350°F oven for 5 minutes. Serve warm.