A filling of squash, bell peppers, pancetta and arugula finds a home in flaky phyllo in these tasty pastry pouches.
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 large red or green bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 4 (1/8-inch-thick) slices pancetta, finely chopped (about 4 ounces)
- 2 cups arugula, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 20 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″x14″), thawed
Thaw 1 roll of phyllo, following instructions on the package. Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a large bowl, combine the squash, bell peppers, 1 tablespoon oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Lightly brush a large baking sheet with 1 teaspoon oil and evenly spread the squash and peppers over it. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until tender, stirring several times. Place squash mixture in a large bowl and cool to room temperature.
In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onions, scallions, and pancetta and cook for about 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Stir in arugula and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Place the mixture in a colander and drain well. Add onion mixture and parsley to squash mixture and combine.
Unroll and cover phyllo sheets with plastic wrap, then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out. In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Layer 4 phyllo sheets, brushing each with the butter-oil mixture. Cut two, 5-inch squares from phyllo stack. Place about 1/4 cup of filling in center of square. Brush phyllo from edge of filling to each point of square lightly with water. Gather points of square and pinch together just above filling. Brush pouch with butter-oil mixture.
Repeat process 4 times to make 10 pouches. Place filled pouches at least 1″ apart on ungreased cookie sheet or baking pan.
Bake in preheated 350°F oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.