A filling of red onions, fennel, sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil finds a home in flaky phyllo in these delicious pastry rolls.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb (about 1 1/2 cups), core removed, finely chopped
- 1 cup sun dried tomatoes packed in water or oil, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, finely sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 20 sheets Athens® Phyllo Dough (9″x14″), thawed
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onions, fennel and sun dried tomatoes and cook about 10 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat. Let mixture cool. Add basil and season with salt and pepper.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter with 2 tablespoons of oil. Layer 5 phyllo sheets, brushing each with the butter–oil mixture. Cut the width of layered phyllo into 4 strips. Place filling at one end of phyllo strip, leaving 1″ from end and 1/2″ from each side free of any filling. Fold phyllo up over the filling to form a roll. Fold side edges in to enclose the sides.
Roll up to the end of phyllo strip. Brush outside of roll with butter–oil mixture. Repeat process three times to make 16 rolls.
Bake seam side down, at least 1″ apart, on ungreased cookie sheet or baking pan in preheated 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.